Saturday, April 16, 2016

Pacific Lace Shawl

I love the pretty teals of this yarn. It reminds me of summer, so I matched it up with an airy, lacy pattern. This scarf is a triangle worked on the bias, so it is not a symmetrical triangle. 
I used one skein of KnitPicks Stroll Fingering in Pacific Tonal with size 6 circular needles to accommodate the large number of stitches. 

CO 3, long tail
Row 1: k2, kfb
Row 2: kfb, k to last 2 sts, k2 tog
Row 3: k to last st, kfb

Rep rows 2 and 3 for the solid sections. 
So every other row 2 will have an even number of sts, and the other row 2 will have an odd number. This is because it increases 1 stitch every two rows, and the pattern repeat is only two rows long, so one time it will be even and the next it will be odd. 

For the even rows: 
Row 1: kfb, *yo, k2tog; rep from * to last 3 sts, k1, k2tog
Row 2: k to last st, kfb

For the odd rows: 
Row 1: kfb, *yo, k2tog; rep from * to end to last 2 sts, k2tog
Row 2: k to last st, kfb

I wouldn't bother counting the sts to determine if it's an even or odd row, I would just knit the lace pattern of (yo, k2tog) until the last few sts and see if there needs to be another st or not before the k2tog. 

Randomly do big and small sections of the solid knitting and the lace pattern. This will give it a nice, random, lacy look. 
When you're almost out of yarn, BO using Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, or another stretchy one. 
Fasten off, and weave in ends. 
I blocked this to open up the lace. Blocking gave this scarf a fantastic drape!
Since this is a triangle worked on the bias, it is not perfectly symmetrical. From the center point to the top it is 15". From end to end, along the longest side, it is 107". This makes it the perfect narrow scarf, since the ends are very skinny and the deepest part isn't too wide. I wrap the ends a few times, which helps make it more secure. 
Enjoy!
Xoxo, Alyssa 

22 comments:

  1. what stitch is kfb? i know some of knitting terms, but, not all of them. I'm just getting back into knitting, I crochet mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kfb means knit front back. You knit into the front of the st, and then without dropping the st off the left needle, knit into the back st, and then drop the st off the needle.

      Delete
  2. So happy I found your site! Can you please tell me what "I wrap the ends a few times, which helps make it more secure" means :-( Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the scarf is pretty long, I just wrap it around my neck an extra time. This just helps get the ends out of the way and it does make the shawl less likely to fall off.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I have a hank of Stroll just waiting for a beautiful pattern like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olá! a minha duvida, é somente estes pontos, que tenho que fazer, ou tem mais descrição? E qual o n° da agulha.
    Obrigada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the pattern took me several reads to understand, I am thrilled that you published a pattern that uses one skein AND is
    Long enough to wrap around my neck a couple times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I've found that this yarn actually goes pretty far.

      Delete
  6. This has become my favorite shawl pattern. I always come back to it, and it's a great first time shawl. I've made this in a variety of yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far I am enjoying your pattern. I am just a little confused about when i should stop increasing and begin decreasing, so I have skinny ends.
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no decreasing rows in this pattern. The triangle shape is made just with the increasing rows.

      Delete
  8. Why is it that I cannot figure this pattern out? I have been knitting rows 2 and 3 but when do you begin the "even " rows1&2 and "odd"rows1. & 2 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did random sections of lace. The even and odd rows are for the lace, and depend on whether you have an even or odd number of stitches. This changes because you increase one stitch every other row. You can start the lace sections at any time, and alternate with garter sections, which is just rows 2 and 3.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful shawl Alyssa. Could you tell me if this could be worn as a wrap around the shoulders? Is it wide enough for that? Thank you ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shawl is long and narrow, so it may work for being wrapped around the shoulders. If you want something that would cover more of your back, I knit think this would work that well since it's pretty narrow, at 15".

      Delete