Saturday, March 12, 2016

Coral Fringe Triangular Shawl

This easy mesh stitch is crocheted into a triangle, to make a lovely shawl. Knotted fringe is then added, to continue with the diamond shapes of the mesh. This is a nice shawl for spring because of the color and open stitch, but is also warm enough for winter. 
I used one and half skeins of Stitch a Studio By Nicole Storybook Lullaby in Papaya with an H hook. 
Ch 8, dc in 1st ch
Row 1: ch 8, (counts as dc, ch 5), turn, sc in 5th ch, ch 3, dc in 3rd ch
Row 2: ch 8, (counts as dc, ch 5), turn, sc in ch 5 lp, ch 5, sc in ch 5 lp, ch 5, dc in 3rd ch of starting ch 8
Row 3: ch 8, turn, (counts as dc, ch 5), *sc in ch 5 lp, ch 5; rep from * to end across to last ch 5 lp, dc in 3rd ch of beg ch 8 
Rep row 3 until your shawl is the desired size. Without cutting yarn, sc around the two side edges of the the triangle. I fit 3 sc in each do space, and 9 ch in the center beginning loop. Fasten off and weave in ends. 
To attach the fringe, cut 10" lengths of yarn. With a crochet hook, knot two pieces onto every third sc. One you have done that all the way around, knot two pieces from one clump with two pieces from the next one. Then repeat this step again so you have another row of knots. This will make this diamond pattern. 
Hopefully this picture will show you how to knot the fringe. My finished shawl is 23" deep and 80" across the top, not including fringe. 
Enjoy!
Xoxo, Alyssa 

34 comments:

  1. Stunning effect from a simple to make pattern! Two of my favourite things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloso cute I love the color the patern easy easy to follow thanks for share so cute work.
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to crochet, but it's a very pretty scarf that I'm going to attempt to make!
    Could you tell me what "doc" is in row 2, and "do" in row 3 is? I tried to look them up but can't find anything.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are supposed to be dc. I fixed the typo! Thanks for notifying me!

      Delete
  4. I have the same questions as Susan does about "doc" in row 2 and "do" in row 3.
    I love your shawl, both the design and color!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have your brand where I live...what ply and size is it....I would love to make it.
    TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a thinner worsted, or maybe DK yarn. I believe it is an 8 ply yarn.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to repeat but wanted to find your reply...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Approx how many yds of yarn did you use. I looked up the ysrn but the info for yards per skein was invomplete. I want to start this right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't currently have a label, but a quick search on Ravelry gave me 265 yards per skein. That would make it about 375-385 yards probably for my shawl.

      Delete
  8. Approx how many yds of yarn did you use. I looked up the ysrn but the info for yards per skein was invomplete. I want to start this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! This is beautiful- I'm a little new to crocheting and I am having trouble getting this started- I don't understand the first 3 rows - do you have a tutorial?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry- I guess it's really the first 2 rows that I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So for the first row, sc in the 5th ch from the hook, then sk 2 ch, and dc in the last ch. Then for the second row, ch 8, then sc in the ch 5 loop, then ch 5, sc in the next ch 5 loop, ch 5, and then dc in the 3rd of the 8 chs from the previous row. The ch 8 at the beginning of each row counts as the beginning dc and a ch 5 loop.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  11. I'm so confused when you say ch 5 loop does that mean the open part or a stitch. Im still pretty new to scarf crocheting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make the sc in the open part of the ch 5 loop.

      Delete
    2. This didn't help me. What ch 5 loop on the 2nd row?

      Delete
  12. Hi I love this scarf. Can it be downloaded? I just like to have it on file

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pattern seems very easy but I'm very confused! I'm usually really good at reading patterns but this one has me stumped. I've started over several times and each time I end up with the same weird mess. Just to be clear the very first step (before row 1), the ch 8, dc in 1st ch results in a loop correct?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ch8, dc in 1st ch does result in a loop. Then you ch8, and sc in the 5th ch of the very first ch8. Hopefully that helps to get you started!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I to am having a lot of trouble getting this right, its a beautiful pattern & don't usually have trouble ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Due to having to start over a few times despite being an experienced crocheter of 40 years may I suggest and edit to the instructions?

    Row 1: Ch 8, (counts as dc, ch 5), turn, sc in 5th ch of loop, ch 3, dc in 3rd chain of loop.

    That was my stumbling block right there. Adding in "of loop" clarifies the question of if you meant the loop or new 8-chain. Hopefully this will help with others mentioning having difficulty getting started 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry but that's not how she explained it:
      So for the first row, sc in the 5th ch from the hook, then sk 2 ch, and dc in the last ch. She says 5th chain from hook which isn't 5th ch of loop

      Delete
  17. \no offence but this pattern is poorly written...you should consider either a video tutorial or at least photos. I've been crocheting a long time too and I'm confused

    ReplyDelete
  18. In row 3, what do you mean by "each 'do' space?"

    ReplyDelete