Saturday, November 28, 2015

Turquoise Brioche Cowl

This cowl is delightfully plushy and fluffy, perfect for those cold winter days. The stitch looks like knitting, but works up very quickly. 
I used one skein of Simply Soft in Cool Green with a K hook. 
This cowl is joined at the end of each row so there will be no seam, but it is not worked in the round. 

Ch 70, join without turning. 
Row 1: ch2, turn, hdc in each ch across, join in top of ch2 with a sl st. 
Row 2: ch 2, turn, FPHDC in each st across, join in top of beginning ch2 with a st st. 

If you do not know how to FPHDC (front post half double crochet), I'm sure you can find a tutorial online, or on YouTube, but you just form the hdc in the front part of the stitch, not the top "v". 

Repeat row 2 until out of yarn, or until your cowl is the desired width. 
Fasten off, and weave in any remaining ends. 
All finished!
I really love how soft and squishy this cowl turns out. My finished cowl is 8" by 28". 
Enjoy this pattern!
Xoxo, Alyssa 

9 comments:

  1. This one looks sooo cozy Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many rows did you do for the one in the photograph? This is a beautiful cowl and would like to make one close to it. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did 33 rows, but you can do more or less, depending on the yarn you use and personal preference. I think a cowl about 15" would be nice and of course, even squishier!

      Delete
  3. Lovely scarf. So as not to confuse beginners, your main stitch should be listed as a "Front Loop Only- Half Double Crochet(FLO-Hdc), not a FPHDC. Thank you for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I've seen front post and front loop used interchangeably, but I get what you mean since front post can mean something else too.

      Delete
    2. Front loop and front post are NOT the same thing.

      Delete
  4. I love this cowl and want to make it. I haven't crocheted for a long while and I have a stupid question that has me stuck.
    "Chain 70, join without turning"
    Do you mean Slip Stitch in your first chain? And then do row 1. I thought the initial chain is part of row 1 and you would join with a slip stitch at the end of the two combined.
    I probably am over thinking it because the rest of the pattern looks doable to me. Please any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks and I really do love and look forward to your creations. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I join with a slip stitch. After I join, then I do row 1 all the way around, then join to the top of the initial ch 2 from round one. I hope that helps answer your question since I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

      Delete