The New Katie

A few years ago I created a pattern called The Katie Scarf, here, to copy a scarf my friend Katie gave me, but I decided I didn't quite get it right. I used plain 1x1 ribbing, and I knit it sideways so that it was seamless, even though the original was knit longways. When I was knitting another scarf in Fisherman's rib, I realized it looked a lot like the scarf from my friend. This pattern is my new and improved Katie Scarf.


Here is a photo of the original, below, for reference. I looked up the brand, echo, and they don't seem to sell scarves in this style anymore. We don't have to worry about that though; we can just knit our own.


I knit three of these, actually, because I fell in love with the first one. They are quite a bit of knitting, and since it's a simple stitch it does get a little boring, but I think the results are well worth it.



I used a bit under one skein of Loops & Threads Madrid for the variegated yarn, and about two skeins of Patons Classic Wool Roving for each scarf, with size 11 circular needles. It is knit flat, and you can use straight needles if you prefer, but I just really love my circulars.

CO 41, longtail method using the variegated yarn. If you would like to change the width, just add or subtract a multiple of two.

Row 1: k1, p1 across, ending with k1

*Change colors here, to the solid yarn. Don't cut the yarn while knitting, just carry it up.*

Row 2: k1, *k1b (knit 1 below), p1; repeat from * across to last 2 sts, k1b, k1

Row 3: k1, *p1, k1b; repeat from * across to last 2 sts, p1, k1

*Change colors back to the variegated yarn.*

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until the scarf is as long as you would like. To get the stripes, continue to change colors every two rows. Essentially, knit a repeat of rows 2 and 3, then change colors, then knit rows 2 and 3, thn change again, continuing the pattern.  I tried to match up the colors, so that the scarf started and ended with the same color in the variegated yarn, so that the seam was less noticeable.

BO, leaving a long tail to seam the ends together. I used JSSBO because it's nice and stretchy, which is what we want with this scarf. Seam the ends, and weave in any remaining tails.


I used Natural for the Roving and Mist for the Madrid for this scarf. The finished size of the scarf is 14"x66", which wraps around twice.


This one is Aran for the Roving and Waterlily for Madrid. This scarf is huge and fluffy, with great loft and drape.


This one is Aran for the Roving and Denim for Madrid.

I'm not sure why, but Madrid has been on clearance the last few times I've been to Michaels. I really enjoy the yarn, and they have so many pretty colorways, so I hope they don't discontinue it. You can, of course, use other yarns for this project. Look for something variegated, with long, gradual color changes, and something solid, unless you want both solid or both variegated colors. The yarn should be fluffy, and I thing single ply works very well for this scarf. Both Madrid and Roving are single ply yarns, and they both have a bit of a fuzzy halo, which mimics the original scarf from Katie.


I hope you enjoy this pattern, and make a few for yourself. It ends up being such a beautiful scarf, and I get so many compliments when I wear them.
XOXO, Alyssa

Comments

  1. Really like this scarf, but as the Madrid has been discontinued do you have any suggestions for an alternative yarn that has a similar 'sheen' to the Madrid to contrast against the roving? Any ideas would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe try Scarfie by Lion Brand? That yarn is pretty similar in regards to texture. Otherwise, see what you like. This scarf can really be made with any yarn, but the ones with a bit of halo do look nice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts